Re: Topband: CQ 160 CW Contest Observations

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: CQ 160 CW Contest Observations
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:08:23 +0000 (GMT)
The scoring system is quite unfair, but it is
considerably less unfair than when it gave NA two
complete nights and much of the rest of the world only
one!

160m is not a very geographically fair band. Stations
far into the southern hemisphere have a huge
disadvantage in nearly all respects, stations near the
auroral oval are severely handicapped. Many
administrations severely restrict the permissible
frequency band. When I moved from England to northeast
Ontario I had to start my DXCC again, yet the distance
is considerably less than from Newfoundland to BC. But
then I could have moved less than 50 miles into GW and
still had to start over.

For me, it is the complete inequality that I find
attractive! When all is said and done, I am only
competing against myself in a totally pointless
endeavour. I have heard that the mark of the true
amateur is the love of the unsuitable, and 160m could
hardly be less suitable for DXing - or more loveable.

73 Roger
VE3ZI/G3RBP