Topband: CQ160 Contest

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: CQ160 Contest
From: Joe - WDØM <WD0M@centurytel.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 13:29:41 -0700
The contest started out with a mini-disaster, when condensation formed in the SPG electrical box just outside the house and dripped on the coaxial connector going to the ICE lightning protector, causing a short. I was running the Alpha 87a at legal input, and it smoked the connector and ICE lightning protector, causing strange SWR indications. Since the snow was pretty deep, and it was about midnight, I just climbed into bed the first night after only a few QSOs.

Got it fixed the next day, and that evening was back in a SAP mode, just picking up a few stations. The highlights were D4B (incredible OP and signal), VP2E, KP2ZZ, VP5/K9NW, KL7J (for my 50th state on 160 - thanks Les!), and VY2ZM. I saw lots of EU spots, but never heard any - too many east coast stations calling them.

This is the first time I've used beverage antennas, and WOW what a difference! I also put an ICE BCB filter on the 756 Pro, and it sure helped to knock down the interference. I was amazed at how strong signals were across the band - virtually S9 plus from bottom to top.

Had a great time, despite the difficult start. Looking forward to next year!

73,
Joe
WDØM

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.2 - Release Date: 1/28/2005