Re: Topband: last night in NW

To: TopBand <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: last night in NW
From: Larry Molitor <w7iuv@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:46:46 -0800 (PST)
--- Rudy Severns <rudys@ordata.com> wrote:
The gold ring goes to
> those who simply
> persist in listening and don't sweat the forecast!

Maybe not always!

European stations were heard here starting around
0430z. By 0600z I had heard about a dozen and called
about 6 or so of the loudest with no success. The best
I could do was a couple of QRZ's followed by more
CQ's. Nursing a cold, tired and real cranky, I decided
it wasn't worth the effort and went to bed. Maybe if I
had stuck it out I might have put one or two in the
log, maybe not.

The 80° beverage was hearing as good as or better than
the 40° beverage indicating a skew path. On those few
occasions in the past that I have heard European
stations on skew path, I have not been able to work
any. In retrospect, I should have stuck it out and
tried to break the pattern.

Larry - W7IUV