Re: Topband: Key-clicks FT1000MK-V field ? -- SEND IT BACK!

To: <mstangelo@comcast.net>, "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,"TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Key-clicks FT1000MK-V field ? -- SEND IT BACK!
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:58:57 -0500
> They may not be optimized for CW operation but are they
defective?
> I think we may have better success in getting them
modified if the spurious emissions produced by the fast rise
and fall times exceed the FCC bandwidth standards for CW
emissions. Has anyone checked this?

Of course they fail FCC operating requirements. So do most
rigs on SSB.

http://www.w8ji.com/fcc_97_307.htm

Unfortunately a manufacturer can sell anything. The burden
of complying with 97.307 is on the end-user. The FCC does
not require any testing to verify 97.307 in amplifiers or
radios.

Some tetrode external amplifiers are in the -25 to -30dB IM3
area in two-tone tests (using the correct commercial dB
below a single tone, not the dB below PEP that makes things
look 6dB cleaner that the ARRL uses). Think about that!

IMO before the ARRL and everyone tries to grant the wish of
increasing HF activity (more HF Hams), they should push to
clean up radios and amplifiers so we have more room to stack
people next to each other without suffering needless
adjacent channel QRM.

73 Tom