Topband: Boring Report - Thursday Evening

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Boring Report - Thursday Evening
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:53:09 -0800
An interesting evening in Boring, Oregon.

Arrived on the band around 0345 UTC and found 5T5SN with a very solid
signal - several S units above the noise level.  While searching for
his QSX frequency, I noticed I was hearing the Europeans he was working.

After K9DX busted through - I was hoping I would be next - as it felt
like I had a pipeline.  However, after a few more calls, I forced myself
to QSY up the band to see if I could hear UU4JMG.  He was peaking 559 and
after a few minutes - I was able to work him for a new one.

I QSYed back to 1822 just in time to hear 5T5SN say he was going QRT.

Heard about a dozen Europeans during the rest of the evening - working
about half of them.  The signals were better earlier in most cases and
perhaps the peak of the opening was before I arrived on the band.

On the previous night - PZ5RA had a very good signal and was actually
working the USA for a bit - but then disappeared - possibly because his
QRG was also being used in Europe.  This would be a new country for me,
so I keep hoping for another chance.

On Saturday evening, the NAQP CW Contest will be held.  This contest
will have lots of people running 100 watts on the band - probably from
about 0400 to 0600 UTC.  Might be a good chance for state hunters.  DX
QSOs do count - and North American countries are even multipliers.
If you are able to hand out some QSOs during this period - I am sure
everyone will be glad to hear from you.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net