Topband: propagation data

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: propagation data
From: Carl K9LA <k9la@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 13:53:55 -0500
All,

The 3Y team, N0FP, N2XE, VE7BS (an excellent measurement of a sunrise enhancement), and others (I apologize if I left you out) should be commended for their efforts to collect observational data on propagation. I encourage people to particiapte in these endeavors to gain a better understanding of propagation. FWIW in relation to these experiments, Radio Shack makes an inexpensive digital multimeter with a PC interface - it will dump the data to your PC with time logging. I'm sure there are more sophisticated ways to do this, but for $60 it may be an easy way to go if you have an old PC sitting around collecting dust.

I have no doubt that in the next several years we'll end up with a large amount of excellent observational data. I think this is the easy step. The next step, correlating it to what the ionosphere is doing, will be the tough task. That's because our model of the ionosphere (whether it be in IONCAP, VOACAP, DX Atlas, W6ELProp, WinCAP Wizard, or whatever) is a monthly median model - we do not have a daily model of the ionosphere. George Lane of VOACAP fame summed it up best with respect to the developers of IONCAP: "I bet their eyes would pop out of their heads if they new Johnny-come-latelies are now making daily predictions with these averaged models!" That quote is from George, so I'm just the messenger here. :-)

We don't have a daily model of the ionosphere because we don't fully understand all the variables that make the ionosphere vary on a day-to-day basis. That's why we presently have a statistical model over a month's time frame. And that's also why we sometimes have to speculate (as N0FP said) - all we can do is tie our daily observations to trends in our 'average' model. Sure, we have ionosondes running all over the world. But the probability of one of them being located exactly where we need it is quite low. Additionally, these ionosondes generally don't go low enough in frequency to gather any data at night (specifically the E and D regions) - which is what I think we really need to help understand propagation on the low bands.

Carl K9LA