Topband: Re: Increasing bandwidth 160m L

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Re: Increasing bandwidth 160m L
From: <darruzza@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:59:00 -0500
Hello all,

I am attempting to increase the bandwidth of my 160 meter L. I wish to cover
the entire band, without utilizing any tuning networks.

I am a little gun on this band, but participate in the CQ 160m SSB contest, and
as a little gun I must constantly search and pounch to play the game.

This leads to much retuning of my present L network. My 2:1 bandwidth is 45 Khz.

Here is a description of my inverted L:

It is 135 feet long, 45' vertical and 90' horizontal. I made it longer than 1/4
wave so I would not have to change my L network configuration.

My ground system consists of 35 - 100 foot radials laid right on the ground.
The gound is marshland, but not a salt marsh.

The antenna performs very well for me with 75 countries and 49 states worked
and confirmed (just have never heard KL7), with 100 watts.

My idea to increase the bandwidth is to utilize a cage element or conical (fan)
element. I believe with a "fatter" element the bandwidth should increase.

Anyone one out there in top band land with ideas, comments, advice etc. on this
topic?

73 es Happy New Year
Dave W1CTN
Radio Ansonia