Topband: unusual conditions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: unusual conditions
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:24:05 -0500
I knew something was up when I started hearing Europe nearly
an hour before my sunset (Sunday). 20 minutes before sunset
some of the European stations were already S9.

UK8DAN peaked 569 right at my sunset. It was a narrow peak,
coming from the noise to 569 in about 5 minutes and fading
to noise again in another 5 minutes. EX2A was 449 at times,
as was YX7A... but neither of these peaked until well after
sunset. Unfortunately I was not able to work any of them,
but it is very unusual for those of us with high angle
antennas to even hear that stuff. I would say this is one
of the most unusual propagation events I have ever
witnessed on top band!

I tried to spot UK8DAN sooner but every time I transmit, RF
causes my internet connection to drop and it takes a couple
of minutes to restart it. Wouldn't you know, this only
happens on 160 !!!

Shortly after sunset QRN came up to summer-like levels
making it tough to hear anything. I need receive antennas.

73,
Paul N1BUG