Re: Topband: Hazards of HV-Caps for gammas

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Hazards of HV-Caps for gammas
From: John Ackley <john@kp2a.vi>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 05:42:58 -0400
I've always used vacuum capacitors but talking about fire hazards: I shunt feed a 180 foot tower on 160 and used PVC pipe for standoff insulators every few feet up the tower. One night when calling CQ, out the shack window I noticed someone calling CQ lighting up the country side with brilliant flashes of light. Of course, it was my PVC "insulators" that had carbonized and made a spectacular display when the key was down! Moral: PVC is not a good insulator. I switched to large glass insulators.

Dr .Wolf Ostwald wrote:

Hi reflectees !
Although it is very interesting to hear about the many ways of making HF caps for gamma matches, i want to bring about another consideration. Most of the caps described are representing a big fire hazard !