Re: Topband: 200pF HV-capacitor for shunt feeding

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 200pF HV-capacitor for shunt feeding
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:29:07 -0600
> Hello!
>
> Does anybody know where to get a 200pF HV-capacitor for shunt feeding a
> tower on 160m? Is it possible to use RG213-cable as capacitor?
>
> 73 and tnx
> Jo

This may sound crazy, but I've used a piece of double sided circuit board at up
to 1KW to feed an 80M vertical.  Cut it to size, and campher the edges back
1/8" or so.  Then wrap the edges with electrical tape.  Solder a wire to both
sides, bodda-bing-bodda-boom a capacitor.  Camphering the edges is believed to
increase the voltage handling capability of the board.  It also changes the
capacitance dramatically (downward) so you need to campher before measuring.

(your mileage may vary)

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com