Topband: elevated vertical matching

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: elevated vertical matching
From: "DAVID CUTHBERT" <DAVIDNNAN@MSN.COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:20:51 -0700
Steve,

The radiation resistance of your balloon vertical will be 36 ohms. By the time
you add in ground losses you will be up to around 50 ohms. I would just feed it
at the base and tweak the length to resonate it at 1830 kHz (or whatever you
like). This antenna will cover over 100 kHz with a VSWR below 2:1. I would just
put it up, base feed it, and fine tune it with a good tuner at the shack. As
long as the VSWR is below 6:1 at resonance things should be fine.

     Dave WX7G