Topband: ARRL 160 m report from EU

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: ARRL 160 m report from EU
From: "f8bpn" <f8bpn@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 17:12:00 -0000
Hi all!

A report for my modest participation to the ARRL 160 meters

Good conditions : No
Bad conditions : No
QRN : Yes! Strong most of the time, a lot of statics due to a thunder storm friday
QRM : No, band was pretty quiet, not too many EU were involved in the contest.
Hard to come trough : Some times, it depends.

Well, no very big signals here, big guns usualy heard +30dB here, had a nice 599 not more.
First night, QRN level was so bad, I never called CQ and even gave up before sunrise after only 16 QSO and 4 hours turning around the VFO.
Second night QRN was not as strong, signals from east coast were most of the time at the noise level, picking up to get the call and droping down before catching the report and the section, several QSO were lost like this.
Missed a lot of sections from east (EMA, ME, RI, VT, ENY, NLI, NNY, WNY, MDC, WPA...)
Signals from central and west coast were just as strong, worked several stations with nice signals from AZ, UT, CO, IA, NM, TX... and had to ask to repeat to be sure I was not dreaming, worked N7FU from WWA with a very strong 599, thought it was a joke! Hope it was not, it's a new state for my WAS...
Best moment was between 0500z and 0600z.
Heard KR0T from SD, not that strong, but easily readable over the noise level, couldn't be heard, a shame it was also a new one.

It has been some time hard to be heard, I stayed long time trying to work stations saturday even they were strong and work them sunday at the second or third call.
So! if I compare my score to those I read on this reflector I am not ridiculous with my 62 QSO and 32 sections... but for the last ARRL DX It was 183 QSO with NA with only 100 Watts, was only because of the DX conditions?

Antenna is an inverted L, power about 500 Watts, no receiving antenna yet, it's what I am missing most.
Hopefully, conditions from west coast will be the same for the next days, I'll try to be there before my sunrise.
Have a nice sunday

73/88 de F8BPN, Mau
f8bpn@wanadoo.fr
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/ph-martin/f8bpn