Re: Topband: More HS72B

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: More HS72B
From: "on4ww" <on4ww@pandora.be>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 07:03:21 +0100
Seeing the rx problems both HS and 9N have, I think it would be a good asset
for future low band dx-peditions in Asian countries (or all countries for
that matter), to take direction finding (fox hunting) units for 80 and 160
along in the toolkit.
I remember vividly how bad the electrical situation both at AP2ARS and A52A
was. In Bhutan I was running around with a portable AM radio trying to
locate the sources, a direction finding unit would have made life much
easier.
Once the source is found, it is usually easy to convince the owner of the apparatus to shut it down because of a possible 'fire hazard'. I'm still amazed at how many defective 'spark producing' lights and switches and bad contacts I have found just in my neighbourhood.

73 - Mark - on4ww

HS72B. Dietmar writes:

"The (powerline) QRM on 160 suddenly stopped at 18:30 UTC and we could hear
really well due to the good receiving antennas.>

We still haven't found the source of the noise! We can work topband only if
the QRM disappears. We have a separate 160m station and watch the band
continously. We immediately start to call CQ on 1816.5 when the noise goes
away.