Topband: HS72B "Status"

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: HS72B "Status"
From: wb6tza@socal.rr.com
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:19:58 +0000 (GMT)
For all who have asked, we are well aware we have to be on the air at or before
our sunset, and then continuously until NA sunrise is complete.  We have not
been on much due to equipment failures impacting the overall operation leaving
little time for construction of multiple RX antennas.  We are also aware that
we are essentially totally deaf, and that being a large alligator isnt very
useful, and raises the
frustration level for everyone. We think we have enough antennas now to kake a
good try, so we will be on each evening on time. There are only 4 of us to do
the constructing, fixing and operating, and there is a great deal of hardware
to fix/keep running on all the bands.

I think I have worked maybe 200 qsos total since I arrived, all my time, 20-22
hrs a day- is spent on equipment and antennas.

The noise does seem to get better in the early morning, but not always.  This
morning we installed a half wave BOG and a low dipole, this is in addition to
two K9AYs about 250 Meters apart.  The BOG and the K9AY that is near by have
similar S/N, poor at best, but better than the others.  I have walked around
the region looking for places to run something more, but there really isnt much
that lends itself reasonably.  This is a quite active university campus with
dozens of buildings all over the place, and lots of residence buildings.  Quite
a nice place, actually, just seems impossible to get away from the noise on
topband.  I have more antennas in my "kit" and will be trying them, hopefully
at least one per day.

N7UA did make it through on his sunrise peak, so there is hope.  Also, there
really isnt a JA pileup from our perspective.  it typically takes several
minutes to complete with one JA...  if there are dozens calling, we do not hear
them.  We are watching the spots, not all in real time, but mostly.  E mail is
a pain to deal with so we will not typically be responding to indivdual messages

I do strongly suggest calling +/- 50-150Hz of our specified rx freq.  if
everyone is exactly on the same freq, we will never make anything out of it.

In any case, we will be on the air by or before 11Z every evening until its
over, barring more equipment failures... the PA for 160 has its on-off switch
removed and jumpered - did that yesterday AM just to get back on the air..  and
right
now we are down another two transcievers I have to resurrect, and I still have
the Dentron rebuild and the TL922 cleanup and retube to do, and both FL2100s are
exhibiting problems... and Toms ZZ750 blew a plate transformer..  And so it
goes.

And we all miss Ray a great deal.  There is nothing new to report on his
condition.  Please keep him in your thoughts & prayers.

73

Robin, WA6CDR