Topband: Receivers with a Twist

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Receivers with a Twist
From: "Kevin Nathan" <k7rx@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:28:52 -0800
Hi All,

I have been reading the posts here concerning receivers with q good deal of
interest.  I would like to ask about them but with a slight twist.  I am
totally blind and so the transceiver I run needs to be accessible to me in
terms of frequency, S-meter, and especially menu settings.  I have used rigs
such as the Icom 746 and 746 Pro but get really frustrated with the lack of
accessibility.  I currently have a Kenwood TS-2000 which I own primarily
because of the accessibility.  Yaesu has no accessibility for their radios
and the Tentec Orion or others of that class are not even in the realm of
dreaming for my budget.  So, with that in mind, I will ask my questions.

Would the receiver in the K2 be worth giving up some of the features of the
TS-2000 to get?  How would the two rigs compare in terms of the receiver?
Has anyone experimented with the new Kenwood TS-480 receiver and how does it
stack up to others?  Any other recommendations that might give me a top
notch receiver but the accessibility I need in my rig as a whole?

I thank all of you who answer me in advance for your thoughts and look
forward to reading the combined wisdom of this group.  Take care and very
73.

Kevin :)
Amateur Radio:  K7RX
Navy Marine Corps MARS:  NNN0SHS