Topband: 160 meter noise problem

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 meter noise problem
From: "Dennis Peterson" <dennis.peterson@machlink.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:57:57 -0600
After reading and studying the latest threads concerning noise, I thought I
would post my problem here on the reflector and see if anyone knows what,
where or why my problem is existent.

On top band from 1800 to 1900 across various frequency spots there is
various noise sources to which I will describe below.  The transceiver is a
Kenwood TS870s with the AIP activated (AIP Led is displayed on the display)
This means that there is no pre-amplification turned on.  The mode is LSB,
NB (noise-blanker) is ON-----LO/Width filter is set at 300, Hi/Shift is set
to 2.400 the following menu settings are as follows;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;menu
11---AIP gain OFF; Menu 13---Line.ENH OFF; Menu 14---Line.ENH 4; Menu
15---SPAC 17; Menu 16---SP.Beat 2; Menu 17---SP.Notch 2; Menu 18---Track ON;
Menu 29---TX.Width 3000; Menu 30---TX.Shift 200;

These measurement and observations are with two different receiving antennas
which are no higher that 25 to 30 feet above the ground.  The computer is
turned off by the way so I can eliminate that possibility.  One neighbor to
the west of me is about 50-60 feet away and the neighbor to the east of me
is about 30-40 feet.  My home is of stucco composition with a fine metal
screen mesh underneath for re-enforcement.

The transmit vertical does not show any signs of these signals although the
ambient noise floor is there but without any s-meter readings.  The signals
appear to be of the horizontal polarization due to the nature of the
receiving antennas.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions and ideas sent directly to me
personally and if possible, I will post the results and fix/cures to the
reflector if I am successful at eliminating the same.

1800----------1807>>>>>>>no noise with a noise floor of SØ

1808----------1810>>>>>>>buzzing type noise with an S3 noise level

1820----------1822>>>>>>>motor type noise that whines with an S3 noise level

1829----------1831>>>>>>>growling type noise with an S5 noise level