Re: Topband: 160m noise

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <topband@contesting.com>,"Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m noise
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 05:59:26 -0800
Yeah, I tried a B&W line filter here for my generator problem. It
had two very impressive looking 2" toroid inductors in series
with each leg of the AC line and shunt caps in between (5 section
LPF). Problem was that safety ground/case ground was a direct
connection on both ends. It did absolutely nothing. In fact
in one case the noise went up a little when I installed it on
the output of the generator :)  Very disappointing, but not
surprising when you look at how it works.