Re: Topband: Aurora and its effect on the low bands.

To: "Kathy and Gary Pearse" <pearse@gci.net>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Aurora and its effect on the low bands.
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 06:28:10 -0500
> of us can do that of course but the ones that have 4
squares, beverages etc.
> might try this. Is it possible to work over the north pole
into Europe on
> topband during an aurora?

My 160 observations:

The normal path here during aurora is east or southeast for
Europe and west to southwest for JA and VK.

The best polarization is random. I see very little
difference between a vertical or horizontal. I also see very
poor directivity on antennas.

I consider the path "scattered".

The longest distance station I have ever heard looking
towards the aurora is KL7J.

We generally have a big peak in propagation going into a
storm and after coming out, but the signals are almost
always skewed from direct path.

73 Tom