Topband: Aurora last night

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Aurora last night
From: W9UCW@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:54:36 EST
On a weekly 20m sked early Sunday eve, a buddy in Illinois mentioned the
heavy aurora going on. After supper at about 0200  I wandered into the rig and
tuned accross 160. I happened accross Tom, W8JI on 1834 working Europe and was
pleased to find I was hearing everyone he worked. Tom was as strong as usual
here, but with tremendous flutter. I dropped down to 1832 and called CQ
thinking
I might catch someone "on the rebound", HI. After a few tries with no results,
I moved down further to 1829.5. Still had no takers. Finally, about  0220 a
return call came from DL3MIH. He was building, but only 559 and he insisted
that I was 599+. What's going on? When I signed with him, there seemed to be 5
or
more calling. I worked UX0, DK9, SP6, OK2, F5, and two G#'s . Many more were
calling. All gave me 599's. They were all strong at times with heavy
flutter/QSB. It ended as fast as it started, about 0250. The "spotlight" seemed
to move
accross Europe from east to west.    I've seen lots of strange things on 160
in 50 years, but that was a new one. It was just like sporatic E on 6 meters.
I had some e-mails this morning from Europe and the states concerning what
others were experiencing and asking what I was using. I was receiving and
transmitting on the only antenna we have right now, a 1150' horizontal loop up
60' on
poles over farmland. I run 500 watts.  Viva 160, always good for another
surprise!
Barry, W9UCW