Re: Topband: Inverted ELL for 160M

To: Jerry Keller <k3bz@arrl.net>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted ELL for 160M
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 19:26:08 -0400

Jerry Keller wrote:

Last, I have a spool of RG59/U CATV coax with stranded center conductor and double shield.....tinned braid plus a foil under the braid that seems like it's glued onto the soft white dialectric. It's marked "Omnicable P/N E15901 RG59/U E82833 20 AWG 75*C (UL) Type CL2 OR CATV". Will this stuff do the job? How much power will a paralled pair handle? And what would be its Velocity Factor?

73, Jerry K3BZ

Jerry,

The foam core CATV drop cable, which is what I think you described, normally has a velocity factor that is very high. (77 to 82 %). As long as the tinned foil is free from moisture and the cable is properly sealed to prevent deterioration, this cable can be a very inexpensive way of feeding top band antennas, especially Beverages. The loss of 1000 feet at 1.8 mHz is insignificant.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ