Re: Topband: Radials question.

To: "Magnus A" <sm6wet@telia.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Radials question.
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:10:05 -0500
Magnus:

> Hi!
>

> Question 1.
> Is it better for me to lay down say like 80 3m long radials in a even
circle
> or should I put down the radials as long as I can in all directions?

Put down as many radials as long as you can make them in as many directions
as you can.

> Qustion 2.
> Can I bend radials fully back (with little spacing) and by doing that
> fooling the antenna?

You won't fool the antenna, unless you install the radials at night when it
can't see what you are doing.  Just joking.
The purpose of the radial system is to couple much RF from the near field of
the radiating element back to the feedpoint.  Placing all your radials over
a small arc of a circle will not improve the effectiveness of all that
copper wire.  It must be spread out on the ground as much as possible.  So
just install whatever wire you can over as much area as you can and enjoy
the band!

> 73 Magnus SM6WET

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F