Re: Topband: Top Band OPEN to deep Europe

To: topband@contesting.com, ka0ct@craigturner.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Top Band OPEN to deep Europe
From: W0AH@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:29:18 EDT
Was really thrilled by the European opening on the 24th when I worked GU3MBS
plus many other Europeans from Scandanavia to Italy plus YV1DIG, which
completed my seasonal WAC.  This was the best European opening here in Colorado
since
the depts of the last cycle.  Last night was better and far more unusual.  As
Josh and others point out, it was deep into Eastern Europe (not heard on the
24th) with western Europe weaker than on th 24th.  This was one of those rare
high latitude openings.  I think the stations north and west of here might
have even had a better opening than we did.  The Russians were actaully the
strongest stations.  Worked UA3TCJ, RW3XX, RK3PA, and RA3DOX, and RU2FO,
several
other eastern European stations, and several northern European stations.  Italy
was not heard.  F5IN was weak.  The QSB made contacts tricky with a swing of
some 20 db or more from peak to trough.  I don't think I've ever worked more
than one or two Russian stations in a season before.  Talked to Jeff, VY2ZM, on
75M later in evening, and he said this is just a preview of things to come.
Hope you're right, Jeff!  CU this weekend in the CQWW.  I'll operate ABLP.
Never worked Europe on 160M in a contest when running low power.  Maybe this
will
be a first.
Doug W0AH  Woodland Park CO