Topband: Boring Report - 26/Oct

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Boring Report - 26/Oct
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:05:45 -0500
After I got home around 0230Z, I ended up reading the e-mail while listening
to nothing on the band.  No signals at all - not even FP/VE7SV or W1AW.  I
ended up with the VFO parked around 1832.  I saw on packet that I had missed
some early action.

At 0315, I heard a signal calling CQ - very low tone, but very readable.  It
was SM5EDX and he came right back when I called.  What a total surprise.
Later, SM5CEU made it in the log and much later, two DLs.  We had a great
shootout to DF2PY with several locals all calling.  Wolf not hearing any
of us.  W2VJN/7 finally broke through.

DJ0MDR was a strange case for me.  I just could not hear him at all - and
guys north and south of me were working him easily.  Finally, the spotlight
moved my way and I could finally hear him.  Not sure if this is an angle
of arrival issue - or just the differences in location.

I think the biggest thing I can give as advice is that you need to listen
for a long time on a frequency before giving up.  Other people just a
hundred miles away might have better propagation, but things will shift
and then you will be the only one who can hear them.  160 is a strange
band, but it does often reward patience.

Last thing I heard before going to bed was a great signal from EA3JE on
1830 - QSX on 7033.  It was too much trouble to hook up the 40 meter
beam at that point, so I went to bed.

160 lives!!

73 Tree N6TR/7
tree@kkn.net