Re: Topband: Bi-directional Beverage for DXpedition

To: n6wg@comcast.net, topband@contesting.com, feutz@wctc.net
Subject: Re: Topband: Bi-directional Beverage for DXpedition
From: Earl W Cunningham <k6se@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:25:30 -0700
Bob, N6WG wrote:

"...you could use a pair of on-ground radials in place of the ground rod
in your questionable ground.   Just make the radials equally about 1/4
wave long each, and point them at right angles to the end of the Bev,
like crossing a T."
In this poor Mojave Desert soil, I initially used only one 6-foot ground
rod at each end of a Beverage. When I added one on-ground 1/4-wave radial
at the terminated end of a Beverage, it made a big difference in the F/B
and F/S ratios of the antenna.  The radial continued straight toward the
signal direction rather than at right angles.

I didn't use any radials at the fed end of the Beverage.

73, de Earl, K6SE