Re: Topband: Topband Propagation - Moon Effects !

To: "by way of Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>" <RPARKES197@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband Propagation - Moon Effects !
From: Robert Brown <bobnm7m@cnw.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 11:43:37 -0700 (PDT)
Friends in Radio Land,

I do not doubt there are lunar tidal effects on the ionosphere, but
like geomagnetic effects, they must be small in magnitude.  The
L-component of magnetic variations is found by statitical analysis of
quiet magnetic records at low latitudes, away from the "magnetic noise"
generated by the impact of the solar wind on the front of the
magnetosphere.

We are re-visiting these ideas due to the remarks of W7DD,
suggesting that the run-up to full moon improves propagation, due to
reflected sunlight.  Personally, I doubt that is the case as I know
of no data to suggest that lunar dust reflects >10 eV photons with
a high efficiency.  Those are the photons that would give rise to
any increase in ionization in ionospheric layers.

Lacking efficiency data and a geometric calculation on the albedo flux,
I would look for other sources of improved propagation in the run-up to
full moon.  With the recent full moon on September 14, the low K-sums
at auroral latitudes in the five days prior:

                        4, 5, 3, 3, 7

would suggest a sociological origin, not a physical one, for the
DXing that was noted.  To argue otherwise would require a strong
mechanism that reduces ionospheric absorption as there is more than
enough ionization overhead to support propagation, even at solar
minimum, and lunar albedo would be of no help.

Flameless,

73,

Bob, NM7M