Re: Topband: B.O.G. vs. regular beverage

To: Chuck Dietz <w5pr@swbell.net>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: B.O.G. vs. regular beverage
From: Larry Molitor <w7iuv@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:26:43 -0700 (PDT)
Chuck,

You need to define "perform better". Some folks want maximum "S" meter wiggle,
some want F/B, and some want maximum overall S/N (RDF).

It has been my experience that a BOG will always give as good as or better than
the S/N of an equal length Beverage at 10' height. Others might disagree. "S"
meter folks? Don't know.

I would spool out that bare wire on the ground if it were me. The only reason I
put any of mine up in the air is to keep the cattle from dragging the wire off!
I have one on the ground now that I drive tractors and equipment over every
day. I've never had a problem with bare wire on grass, gravel or mostly dry
dirt. Wet mud may be a problem, but I've never tried to do that. I have swapped
back and forth between insulated wire and bare fence wire and can't tell any
difference. Don't waste good coax!

73,

Larry - W7IUV

Chuck Dietz <w5pr@swbell.net> wrote:
Of course the BOG would be the ideal solution because I have a hose reel I
can just wind it up on Sunday morning after the contest.

Will the standard 10' high beverage perform better?

Chuck W5PR