Re: Topband: Tower insulator thickness?

To: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>, <jz73@verizon.net>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Tower insulator thickness?
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 22:20:00 -0700
Yeah, a 2 square foot x 7/16" thick fiberglass plate would
be about 600pF of shunt capacitance to the concrete base.
That amounts to about ~150 ohms shunt Xc at 1.8 MHz.
If you cut out the center of the insulator (the part that isn't
under the legs) and put a metal plate under the bottom of
the insulator so you are shunting RF current back to the
shield of the feedline instead of the lossy concrete, then it
might work okay, but you would still have the lightning issue
to contend with. You could put spark gaps on each tower
leg that are setup to break down before the insulating plate
to take care of that.

.