Re: Topband: Repairing beverage coax lead-in

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Repairing beverage coax lead-in
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 08:55:17 -0500

A good alternative to encasing the feedline in PVC pipe or hose is to scrounge up some hardline. I've never had any problems with rodents chewing that, and it's tough enough that a horse can walk over it without damaging it.

Hardline is not the answer at my CO qth. I had 100 ft sections chewed into hundreds of little pieces by coyotes (Canis latrans). Thought about it for a while and decided that it provided the same entertainment that the doggie chew toys did. Things like a Nyl-A-Bone (think that is how it is spelled).

The coyotes must have spent hours just chewing it up into many, tiny
pieces.  And they also chewed up the 6-pair, direct-burial telephone line
that I was using for a control cable.  Of course I could have buried it but
then the pocket gophers (Geomys bursarius) chew it up.

Never did solve the problem before I moved. Now I can't bury the cable
because of the rocks and if it is on top of the ground the cattle tear it up.

;-) Just can't win!

--John WØUN