Re: Topband: 1/4 wave vertical

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 1/4 wave vertical
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:44:34 +0000

Full-size 1/4 wave with Rohn 25 -- about 11 inches on a face -- is about 128 feet tall. Your tower should be pretty close to that, maybe slightly taller. Common method is to put up 120 feet of tower and then make the remainder a piece of aluminum tubing clamped to the tower, and adjustable up/down to resonate the tower.Fastening with a couple of hose clamps will work.

My Rohn 25 for 160 is only 100 feet, and I have a small 6-meter yagi on top that brings it into resonance on 160.

Use a base insulator with the tower, and with series feed it takes only a simple L-network to make it match perfectly at any frequency. Mine is 127' tall, with 120 quarter-wave radials, and works the entire band 1800-2000 kHz.

Don K4KYV