Re: Topband: Aluminum Push Up Mast

To: "Dick" <dmcnutt3@cox.net>, <topband@contesting.com>,"Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Aluminum Push Up Mast
From: "Bob Tellefsen" <n6wg@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 11:06:15 -0700
Dick
The military mast sections that Pete mentioned are very good for a mast.
The aluminum is amazingly tough.  I had a 32 ft mast on my garage roof
caught in a really big wind here.  It tore out one set of guy anchors and
the mast was bent in a
90 degree arc.  I thought it was a goner for sure.  When the wind stopped,
and I
was able to draw it upright again, it stood straight, no permanent bend!
Wow.

If you use these for the radiating element, you will have to put screws
through them to bond them together.  The mechanical junctions are fine for a
mast, but they will be
resistive when used as a radiator.  Perhaps a combination of screws and a
conductive paste for aluminum elements would do the trick.

Good luck and 73
Bob N6WG