Re: Topband: K9AY Antenna Question

To: "Kelley" <kshaddri@myclearwave.net>,"TopBand" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K9AY Antenna Question
From: "Chuck Hutton" <charlesh3@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:07:24 -0700
Kelley:

There's so much difference in the currebt versus resistance curves of
various vactrols that I really couldn't tell you what's right for your
Vactrol.

I've found data sheets for all the Vactrols I use on the web. The fairly
common VTL5C4 is at
http://optoelectronics.perkinelmer.com/content/Datasheets/vtl5c3_c4.pdf  and
a Google search will get you any others.

When I do a controller for a Vactrol, I also insert enough series resistance
to guarantee I never put too much current through the Vactrol, nor more than
is needed to get the resistance down to a low enough point for me. As for a
maximum, that depends on what you want to use it for. To cover flags,
pennants, deltas, EWE's, etc I make sure the resistance will be 2K or a
little more.

There are a few articles at WA1ION's site (
http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/bev/bev_remote_term.htm and others) where you can
find more information.

Chuck