Topband: Horizontal fence wires around vertical array

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Horizontal fence wires around vertical array
From: Wesley Cosand <wes.cosand@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 20:09:38 -0400
The white tail deer here in Eastern Pennsylvania are eating my wife's landscaping and she wants to install an electric high tensile wire fence around the property. That means horizontal wires only 1/4 wavelength away from my new pride and joy, a 4 square array on 80 meters.

I am assuming the radio astronomers at Green Bank are right http://www.gb.nrao.edu/IPG/Fence.shtml and that a properly installed fence doesn't create RF.

Will the horizontal wires attenuate the signals into the vertical array?

Will they change the impedance of the nearest elements so much as to significantly perturb the array's pattern?

Wes, WZ7I