Re: Topband: Remotely Switching Between Capacitors

To: "Herbert Schoenbohm" <herbs@vitelcom.net>,"Ben Champion" <ben@benchampion.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Remotely Switching Between Capacitors
From: "George & Marijke Guerin" <gmguerin@voyager.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:49:08 -0400
Hi All,

Herb's method is a bit tricky.  Some alternatives:
1.    Use a remote relay box like a remote antenna relay, but just pick the
capacitor you want in series with the antenna.  Let the others float, all
connected at the opposite end to the feed end of the antenna.
2.    Use a vacuum variable capacitor driven with a DC motor.  Some of these
are still available from flea markets, used parts dealers, etc.  One then
has an infinite adjustment of capacity within the range of the vacuum
variable capacitor in the circuit, and changing the polarity reverses the
adjustment direction.  Most of the 24 VDC motors will run slower on less
voltage, so maybe a 14 VDC power supply one uses for a 2 meter radio will
provide enough voltage.  Only two wires and a reversing switch.
3.    Use an appropriate air variable capacitor with a stepper motor similar
to the tuning and loading on an Alpha 87A amplifier.  Again, just a few
wires for power and control of a stepper motor.
I hope these thoughts help.
73,    George    K8GG