Topband: XZ0A slide show

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: XZ0A slide show
From: "Milt Jensen, N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 00:26:27 -0700
Well, we are all in the middle of summer doldrums in the northern hemisphere
and very little Topband activity going on.  SOOOOOOO-------

I had been asked sometime back to provide a method of viewing the Topband
station photos from the 2000 XZ0A DXpedition which holds the record for
number of Qs on 160 Meters by a DXpedition.  The amazing feat was
accomplished by this group even though it was done at the peak of the
sunspot cycle.

Instead of just the Topband photos, I have placed the entire digital slide
show that I have used at a number of Ham club meetings.  This show was
prepared and presented to show all sides and facets of the the expedition,
from LAX to LAX 4 weeks later.  It is intended to entertain not only Hams
but their wives and friends also.  The labels of the photos pretty much tell
the story and it is presented in a somewhat chronological order.

We flew from LAX to JA to Singapore to Phuket, Thailand which was the closet
airport which could handle the larger jet aircraft.  From Phuket it was
overland via microbus for us, and truck for the one ton + of luggage, some
200 miles north to Ranong, Thailand.  From the Ranong Sea Terminal we took
voyage west to Thahtay Khun Island, located some 5 miles south of the
southern most mainland tip of Myanmar (Burma).  The city at the tip of Burma
is Kawtaung (Victoria Point during the British heyday) and that is where
some members of the expedition spent a lot of time.

We had the towers for the 80 Meters and 160 Meters antenna structures and
the aluminum for the 40 Meter 4-square plus numerous other items (5,000 feet
of guying rope, 6,000 feet of RG-6 coax for Beverage feed lines, 10,000 feet
of Beverage wire, etc., etc.) all manufactured/purchased in Bangkok and
trucked the 500 miles south to Ranong.  That part of the logistics was all
handled by Ray, G3NOM and the HS boys.  The photos tell the rest of the
story.

Most of the photos are fairly large in bit size to retain their quality.  I
do NOT recommend viewing the photos via a dial-up connection unless you have
LOTS of time.

The site is www.eaars.com/milt/ and select the XZ0A slide show.  I have a
couple of other folders on this server, one containing my sunset shot photos
from various locations here in the SW USA and Chile plus one containing
photos of various types of spring flowers in my area of the desert
southwest.

Happy viewing, and see you all on THE BAND this fall and winter.

73 de Milt, N5IA