Topband: Beverage array interaction

To: "TopBand" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverage array interaction
From: "Rudy Severns" <rudys@ordata.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 11:53:58 -0700
Jim is right on the mark.

Because my 160 m antennas are confined in-line on a very narrow ridge
I have lots of interaction problems between the Beverage and the main
array.  The Beverage begins about 150' east of the array, directly in
line with it.  That's much too close for comfort but I have no way to
change that.  As long as both are looking the same direction the noise
injection from the main array into the Beverage isn't too bad but when
the array is firing east and I want to take quick listen to the west
with Beverage the noise injection is very noticeable because the
Beverage is looking right into the array.  I have to switch the main
array to west to cut that down.  I can also get noise when listening
on the main array from the Beverage.  Of course every time I run a
test, I get a little different result because the noise is always
varying.

I think this illustrates the general problem with multiple antennas in
close proximity, the idle ones can very well inject noise into the
active one if the idle antennas are not disabled in some manner.   The
problem decreases with wider spacing but on 160 m that may take a lot
of real estate.

For anyone serious about improved weak signal reception, this is
something to think about.  Has anyone on the reflector taken a closer
look at this problem and have any solutions or observations?

73, Rudy N6LF