Topband: Hillside Beverages

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Hillside Beverages
From: Jon Zaimes AA1K <jz73@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 07:38:16 -0400
At a previous QTH in northern Delaware, I had a 200-meter long Beverage along
one border of my property. One end was at an elevation of 27 meters above sea
level, the other end at 9 meters above sea level.

The wire was kept at a constant height of 3 meters above ground. Beneath it was
a steel mesh fence just over a meter high.

This Beverage was oriented Northwest/Southeast. I had feedlines going to both
ends and relays so this could be used as a single-wire, terminated Beverage in
either direction.

About 500 meters off the Southeast end was a major river more than 1600 meters
wide. To the northwest the land sloped gradually higher for several kilometers,
to an elevation of about 200 meters.

I found this Beverage to have very good front-to-back and directivity compared
to the other direction when switched, and to numerous Beverages I had there in
other directions. I heard many, many JA and KL7 stations on it when switched to
the NW that I could not hear on any other antenna. And when switched to the SE
it was almost always the best antenna for the Caribbean and South America.

73/Jon AA1K