Topband: Re: Low Rx Dipole on Topband

To: ve3zi@rac.ca, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Re: Low Rx Dipole on Topband
From: K1ZM@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 08:32:11 EDT
Hi Roger and All

For many years I had a low 160M dipole here in NY (about 8 feet above ground)
oriented so as to RX from the East/West headings.

It was just "yet another" position on my Rx antenna switch.

Occasionally at sunrise it would be my BEST antenna for listening to the
Pacific and sometimes to JA.

I cannot recall the year for sure, but it was around 1989 in March near the
Spring Equinox that it copied V85AA two mornings in a row - and it was the ONLY
antenna that I could copy Bill Maddox on.

Most of the time it was not competitive with other available RX antennas -
but I was mighty glad to have it that year and for that QSO.

Someone on these pages said this week that you can never have TOO MANY Rx
antennas for 160M - I would agree with that assessment.  You just NEVER know
what
will work best when listening on Topband......

Good Hunting!

73 JEFF

K1ZM@aol.com