Re: Topband: RX antennas

To: jimjarvis@ieee.org, topband@contesting.com, sm5dqc@areteadsl.se
Subject: Re: Topband: RX antennas
From: W2pm@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 07:26:46 EDT
In a message dated 5/8/2004 12:37:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jimjarvis@comcast.net writes:
Your friend is right about the coax loop vs. simple inverted vee.
Except, of course, the ability to get a null.
I agree with all the comments about the coax "magnetic" loop limitations but
it can still be quite effective in allowing DX qso's especially from a noise
compromised environment like a suburban neighborhood. I have Pennants and Flags
here which work well and a magnetic loop - Ive worked VK6 with the mag loop
and countless Euros when I could'nt hear them as well with the other low noise
antennas on certain mornings or evenings.. I'd say the mag loop is effective
this way less than 50% of the time but in a 160 unfriendly place I think one
need several noise antennas - i.e. all the help you can get...  you'll hear
nearly as well as JI but you'll hear none the less some stuff...