Topband: 160 Meter DXCC in a year

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 160 Meter DXCC in a year
From: Richard Zwirko <dz@VOA.GOV>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 18:43:06 -0400 (EDT)
 Earl W Cunningham <k6se@juno.com> wrote:

> With today's modern equipment, high power and big antennas,  some of the
> superstations on the band can probably do it in one season.
>
> 73, de Earl, K6SE

Heck, it doesn't take high power & big antennas to work DXCC in one year.
It's rather easy to do it if you are in Europe or on the East Coast of the
USA. In the mid 90's at the bottom of the last Solar cycle I worked over
100 countries three years in a row with 100 Watts and a shunt fed 78'
tower from my suburban Maryland QTH. I wish that I had started my effort
to work DXCC with QRP back then. The QRP countries worked would certainly
be higher than the present 76 total.  3B9C was K1HTV Topband country #190
with 100 Watts, so 160M double DXCC is in range as we approach another
solar cycle low.

73 de Rich - K1HTV
dz@voa.gov