Topband: Re: Top band Civil war of the 1960s and 70s

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Re: Top band Civil war of the 1960s and 70s
From: Greg Chartrand <w7my@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 05:26:45 -0700 (PDT)
I agree that 160 is ideally a local and moderate distance band BUT its also the
last band that has roots that go back to the beginning of radio and our hobby.
The struggle we choose; working DX on a MF frequency was first faught by
Marconi and all those pioneers of the technology almost 100 years ago. The
radios are different but some of our best antennas are beverages and variations
of other antennas invented in the 20''s and 30's.

The thrill of the first trans-atlantic/pacific  two-way contact is still there
for every amateur to experience if they care to take on the challenge. Without
a CW segment, eventually DX will be limited to the superstations who have
arrays good enough to discriminate the DX from the SSB interference.

I believe we need a CW segment to preserve this last radio tradition. The ARRL
should roll up their sleeves and bring a band plan to the FCC. I hope they will
help preserve this last remaining radio tradition that goes back to the first
spark.

Greg Chartrand - W7MY

X- WA9EYY

Herb and others,

160 is primarily a local and moderate distance band, it is
not a DX band. Thinking 160 is a DX band, or that DX'ers or
occasional DX contacts are more important than they are, and
using that as an excuse to rationalize the silly situation
we have now will only wind up causing the "wars" you claim
the present disorganization will prevent!