Re: Topband: Why no CW segment?

To: <wrt@dslextreme.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Why no CW segment?
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 21:08:42 -0400
> I was surprised to see a few days ago that the FCC turned
down a request
> to "segmentize" 160 meters.  I have a question:  If
segments are a good
> idea on the HF bands, why not on 160?  And conversely if
no segments is
> a good idea on 160, why do we have them on HF?

Bill,

I've been in this since the 1960's. Early in the 1970's,
Prose Walker (head of  the FCC) told W2EQS/W9NFC and myself
(Charlie had the actual letter, I heard it verbally from
Prose and saw the letter) that 160 could be restored to full
status if the ARRL would ask.

Several of us tried back then, and it never happened.

The LORAN slowly died a lingering death and 160 was returned
to full use(but still not amateur only), but 160 remains an
orphan without anyone to watch it.

The bottom line is there is no CW segment because the FCC
listens to the ARRL. Someone at the top of the ARRL decided
we don't need 160 to be like all the other bands. Unless
that changes it is unlikely we will see any changes.

Of course the reasoning behind this is totally obscure and
makes no sense, it's just what some people at the ARRL want.
So we have to live with it and make the best of the
situation.

73 Tom