Re: Topband: verticals

To: W7lr@aol.com, topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: verticals
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 10:24:00 -1000

There may be reasons for certain heights. I found from Smith chart work that the 70 foot was optimum for 80m as a single series C was all the network needed to cover most of that band.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the information about your experience with verticals of various heights. I don't intend this to be a criticism, just an observation. It seems that quite often hams choose ease of matching to their transmitters, over other considerations that may be more important in producing a stronger signal. In this case you called the 70 foot vertical "optimum" because the matching system was simple. In this particular case you are talking about a pretty efficient antenna, and good capacitors usually are much less lossy than most inductors. So in some sense this length antenna really is optimum. All too often though, I hear of hams being stuck on the notion that a low SWR over a wider potion of the band is a good thing, when it actually can be an indication of a lossy antenna.

Ken N6KB