Re: Topband: vertical 160/80m

To: "Ryszard Tymkiewicz" <rtym@ippt.gov.pl>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: vertical 160/80m
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 12:56:06 -0400
> I will have probably not the perfect radials system as I'm planning to
have only about
> 40 radials /its an orchard and probably I'll have to remove radials during
Spring-Autumn Season/.

40 radials is a very good ground system. 60 is near perfect. Unless the
radials are very short of course.

 > I'm not sure if I understand OK /sri -my English./. Does "1/4 wl skirt
for 80" means
>  a sloping wire 1/4 wl from the top of the mast?

A skirt is two or more wires dropped vertically down a few feet away from
the mast and insulated from the mast. The more you use the better it looks
electrically. If the skirt is 1/4 wl tall and appears like a "cylinder",
anything inside has essentially no coupling to the feedpoint. You would feed
the skirt on 80 and the center on 160. You could probably just feed them in
parallel.

Even a single parallel wire often works OK, although it has less bandwidth.

IMO, this is better than a trap for several reasons. It has more bandwidth,
it is not expensive, it is easy to build, it is not likely to break.

73 Tom