Topband: ADSL router EMC problems, update

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: ADSL router EMC problems, update
From: Alan Ibbetson <alan@g3xaq.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 22:56:10 +0100
I asked for help a week or so ago with my ADSL Internet router/modem
resetting when I transmit on 1.8/3.5MHz. Thanks to the dozen or more
people who sent me suggestions. I am making progress, but don't have a
complete solution yet.

The RF appears to be picked up on the phone line and not on the power
feed (the fault remains when using battery power) nor the ethernet drop
cables (the "ADSL up" status led still goes out even with ethernet
cables unplugged).

My own Origo modem is 3 - 6dB more susceptible to RF than a Linksys WSG
router/modem I borrowed. I can now run 200W on 1.8MHz without the ADSL
connection dropping, but it still drops out at 400W.

I have been recommended a K-Com RF-1 common mode line filter rather than
the choke made by looping 8 turns of the phone cord through an FT-
240-77. The K-com supposedly has more inductance. Seeing as it comes
with a money back guarantee I've ordered one to try out. I'll report
back again when it arrives in the mail.

I've not yet followed up on suggestions based on screening the router
enclosure, because finding an earthing point for the innards is tricky
with a glued-together case.

Cheers,

Alan

--