Re: Topband: 1/4 wave sloper array info

To: <deuhs@earthlink.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 1/4 wave sloper array info
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 17:15:29 -0400
Greg:

     There was an interesting thread on TowerTalk in early 2002 on just this
topic.  Here's one of the more cogent postings from that series:
http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/Towertalk/2002-01/msg00183.html .

     I have a sloper for 80M off my 64-foot tower and followed this thread
for advice.  I realized that my HF Yagi (Skyhawk) provided quite a bit of
top-hat loading as discussed on TowerTalk.  (I shunt-feed this same tower on
160M and it works great there, too.)  The sloper wire is about 67 feet long
and is attached at around fifty feet AGL.  It's resonant (lowest reactance)
at 3.65 MHz, not bad!

     Performance is adequate, but I can't really compare it to anything else
on 80M at this QTH.  Of course, if I were running QRO that might make a diff
in the pile-ups.   Hi Hi.

     N4KG also wrote an article in QST (June 1994) on elevated-feed ground
plane antennas for lowbands (80M and 160M).  Essentially, this is four or
more 1/4WL slopers suspended from the tower in four or more directions,
connected to the coax center conductor, with the shield tapped onto the
tower.  There are also the K8UR-type of slopers that have been written up in
QST for a few years.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F