[Fwd: Re: Topband: Long Path Direction!]

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Topband: Long Path Direction!]
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 20:24:45 -1000

What is the half power beamwidth of the most directive antenna that any of you have for receiving on 160 meters? What about the half power beamwidth of the most directive rotatable antenna that you have?

You may know which beverage the signal is strongest on, which may tell you approximately which direction it is coming from. But then the exact directional pattern of your beverage is unknown. Sure, you can predict what it ought to be using modeling programs. I haven't read any discussion here about having a helicopter with a signal generator flying around several miles from your QTH to measure the actual pattern of your antenna, so you don't really know for certain what the pattern is.

If you have a rotatable directional antenna, you might be able to resolve the direction that the signal is coming from to within perhaps several degrees. If you use the null of a loop, that would probably be the most precise way to determine the direction, but not on a weak signal that you can barely receive. I have also not read about anybody here putting the desired signal in the loop's null. Of course we all try to get noise sources in the null.

So all this discussion about azimuths of incoming signals expressed in the precision I see here is rather silly, isn't it? Sure it is fun to speculate about which path a signal followed to get to your receiver. I think you may be trying to split hairs just a little too thin though.

DE N6KB