Re: Topband: FEEDING AN END-FED LONGWIRE

To: "Richard Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FEEDING AN END-FED LONGWIRE
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:53:47 -0500
I didn't see any post where it was claimed the antennas would not radiate,
which I guess would me also mean "work".

The truth is you have to have some radiation from the feeder or an end-fed
wire antenna in Zepp (or J-pole) configuration. This is what often causes RF
in the shack with such setups.

That is minimized with a perfect floating tuner with very high common mode
impedance and a 1/4 wl feedlineand a 1/2 wl long antenna. (Moving a balun to
the input of a tuner does NOT help the balun do a better job, contarary to
popular false claims it does.) None of this means the antenna won't work, it
just is a mistake to think the second feedline wire makes the system ground
independent.

73 Tom