Re: Topband: Beverage feedline suggestion

To: David J Rodman MD <rodman@buffalo.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage feedline suggestion
From: Paul Higginson <paul@greenrover.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 11:53:33 +0000
In message <4046B81C.3020004@buffalo.edu>, David J Rodman MD <rodman@buffalo.edu> writes
My beverage antenna to Europe was cut down by new property owner. The best replacement configuration on my OWN property is 580' at 40 degrees. The only problem is the coax feed line is approx 600' from my beverage coax switch and another 200' to the station. If the antenna is to be used on 160 and 80m, what feedline is suggested to maximize signal and minimize cost. Right now the antenna is fed with "mini" RG59 and the antenna is at least 1 S unit less noise than my other two antennas. I presume the quietness is loss of signal from the feed line length. I haven't matched the antenna to the feed transformer yet, but it is hard to imagine that would be 6-10dB loss. Thanks for opinions. Dave.

RG59 has an attenuation of just less than 1.1db per 100m at 1 Mhz and this rises to about 3.5db per 100m at 10Mhz.

If correctly matched your 250m of feeder on top band is only attenuating the signal by a few db.

The loss rises dramatically when you mismatch thin coax, I'm not a betting man but I would guess that would be a good place to start investigation.

HTH

Regards
--
73 de Paul GW8IZR IO73TI