Re: Topband: Local noise environment

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Local noise environment
From: "Mark Demeuleneere" <on4ww@pandora.be>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:58:23 +0100
Another elctrical noise popped up this evening at my qth, audible 80-160m.
Went out with my portable shortwave receiver, within half an hour the
problem was solved.

The problem was located in a bar (the normal type, luckily, 'cause we got
the plenty of the other type on that particular main road, and one day I'll
be unlucky and have to deal with that).
It usually helps to get the people their positive attention, when you
emphasize the fact that a possible fire hazard is involved. The word 'fire'
works. At this particular bar, there had been a problem before in the main
fuse box, and melted plastic was visible.
It turned out to be a light switch in the stairhall, one of the leads was
loose and arcing.

The people were happy I informed them. They asked if they could contact me
again in the future if they suspected anything (now, that I declined
politely and told them I would notice if there was a problem and would
contact them myself).

Bottom line, when you have neighbour noise generated problems, use the words
'fire hazard', and once they think about their own safety, cooperation will
be gauranteed.

73 - Mark

Stories and pictures on ON4WW's travels are on the following URLs :
http://www.qsl.net/on4ww and http://users.pandora.be/on4ww