Topband: Ferrite Loop antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Ferrite Loop antennas
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:41:03 -0600
Here I go, coloring outside the lines again.  After experimenting with some
ferrite loop sticks, my interest is peaked into making the 'mother of all
loopsticks' for a rotatable topband receiving loop.

The larger the mass, the more sensitive these little devils become.  Long
length must be coupled with a large diameter.  Talk about expensive!  My latest
(version 5) is a collection of 120 - 5" long sticks, bundled into a mass that
fits inside a 2" PVC pipe.  I got these from a guy in Lithuania.  But I want to
make a bigger version.  A bigger L/D.  Much bigger!

Looking around the shop, I find a 6" x 48" stove pipe that would make a nice
form factor for my monster loopstick.  I can also find a cement mixer.  So I'm
thinking, why not make the material?

Having looked far and wide for recipes for ferrite, I can see that these little
devils are made of a magic potion -- clearly closely guarded secret recipes.

Does anybody know of a knowledge resource for making ferrite?  What metals are
used?  What concentration in the ceramic is required?

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com